Welcome to Pipeline Review

Generex Biotechnology, and their wholly owned subsidiary Antigen Express, are developing promising new drugs to treat diabetes, as well as synthetic peptide vaccines targeting HER2/neu cancer and pandemic flu. The flagship product for Generex is Oral-lyn buccal insulin. Antigen Express' leading vaccine is the AE37 HER2/neu synthetic peptide vaccine to prevent breast cancer recurrence. I am not qualified to offer investment or medical advice, and make no claims that I am an expert in these areas. I am a layman and a shareholder in this company. The left side of Pipeline Review holds blogs regarding Generex and Antigen Express, while the right side offers items of due diligence mixed with my analysis which may be of interest to others seeking to learn about Generex's pipeline. If the left side only shows the latest blog, click on the word home to view them all.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Complications from My Sister's Juvenile Diabetes Hits Home

My sister was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes when she was in the ninth or tenth grade of high school. She was very active, and even after her diagnosis she served as the captain of the varsity cheerleading squad. She graduated at the top of her class. However, the complications from her disease struck her hard.

Susan battled with bulimia, and hated taking insulin injections. She did not want to be sick, and the needles made her feel her illness even more. I am talking more about a mental weakness. The thought of the needles, and the perception created while injecting insulin at school, did not fit with her attempts to appear perfect. She skipped her injections, manipulated her weight, and only took hold of properly controlling her diabetes when she approached twenty years old.

None of us are perfect, and she made mistakes. Diabetes is a consuming illness to live with, and treat. Juvenile diabetes is tougher for the young, as opposed to Type 2 diabetes, and how it effects an adult. I'm no doctor, so I'll skip explaining why I feel this is the case.

Susan grew into a wonderful and loving woman. She held high ranking jobs at Pepsi, and Disney. Fiercely independent, she moved to Oralando, and thrived. However, her body suffered the consequences of her earlier non-compliance to an insulin regimen. She lost feeling in her feet, and developed tunnel vision. Her kidneys eventually failed, and my father donated his kidney to her in 2001. That kidney has now failed, and she is back on dialysis.

I am fortunate to be a match, and I am donating my kidney to her tomorrow at noon. The surgery takes place at St Barnabas in Livingston. The complications from her diabetes has touched all of us in the family, and it is nothing short of a blessing to help her gain her health and freedom back. I do not want her sentenced to dialysis, since she is still young, and brings happiness to so many. Also, she would do anything for me.

My interest in Generex originated from a deep appreciation for the work they were doing in developing a non-invasive insulin delivery system. RapidMist and Oral-lyn will be their own blessing to juvenile diabetics like Susan, who would be more apt to follow a regimen that was free of needles, and free of the negative perceptions that come with injections.

Oral-lyn was not there to help my sister, but I am. She is always there for me. Oral-lyn will help the next generation, so many of these complications that result from non-compliance, eventually leading to kidney failure, will not occur.